Audacious Living

Sunday, April 24, 2005

Billboard Latin Music Conference In Miami

This week I will be attending the Billboard Latin Music Conference. I am very excited about being part of this event.
Saturday all of the volunteers gathered at the Intercontinental Hotel to prepare the goody bags for the participants at the conference. At first, I was a bit nervous because the first task was to pick up boxes and place them on the tables. I knew I couldn't do that in my wheelchair.

But it turned out better once we unpacked the boxes which I did do and then we formed a huge assembly line. I think this was the best part. The bag starts at one end of the assembly line and people stuff it with the promotional gifts in front of them and then pass the bag to the next person.

So there we were, about 30 volunteers from all parts of the South Florida and various age groups, stuffing these beautiful black bags. My job was to place the new magazine called LATIN HEAT and to my right was a guy putting the BILLBOARD MAGAZINE in each one.

My cousin was with me and everything was going as planned. Then, something happened. The assembly line quickened its pace. The next thing we know we are in the middle of the Lucy Ricardo and Ethel Mertz episode. The episode where they are working in a chocolate factory assembly line. I was laughing throughout the entire frenzy.

I think everyone was enjoying the scrambling action. We were a complete bunch of strangers working together to get a job done. Nothing surreal. No one got fired. No one was voted off. We smiled, helped each other and even thanked each other afterwards.

I was happy that no one tried to treat me any differently and they expected me to do my part like everyone else.

It got me thinking that maybe society's perception of people with disabilities is only as real as the disabled person allows it to be for them. If I went in there acting as if I couldn't do anything then they would probably treat me as more of an invalid than I really was. But when I quickly opened a box and started unpacking and sorting the products they realized that I was there to help.

I also think that smiling definitely helps. I smiled at everyone who passed by us as we waited for the people in charge to open up the room. People tend to be more receptive and friendly when you smile and say hello first.

It has been a very good beginning for this little adventure of mine.
I am not looking to gawk at celebrities but I wouldn't turn down a hello from Enrique Iglesias or Chayanne. Hey if Marc Anthony "needs to know" something, I will be happy to help him.

Tootles!
Nathasha

1 Comments:

At 10:34 PM, Blogger Ruth said...

I agree that societys perceptions of us are affected by how we handle ourselves.Fair or not, we educate people as to how to treat us. Sounds like it was fun- and i loved your reference to the Lucy show episode- one of my favorites.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Osteogenesis Imperfecta Site Ring
Ring Owner: Lorraine Hernandez Site: Osteogenesis Imperfecta
Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet
Site Ring from Bravenet